Thursday, September 2, 2010

Johnny Cash "Hurt"

In 2003 someone at MTV was sober enough to nominate this spectacular video for the coveted "Video of The Year" award. I certainly did not except the video to get nominated but I was thrilled none-the-less. For awhile it even seemed like it could even win, but it had some "stiff" competition. Also nominated were: 
50 Cent "In Da Club"
Missy Elliot "Work It"
Eminem "Lose Yourself'"
Justin Timberlake "Cry Me a River"

Johnny Cash was clearly the odd man out in the group.

I remember the night vividly. I sat down to watch the VMAs for the first and last time. As they announced that "Work It" was winner, my stomach dropped and I lost all faith in MTV. Missy Elliot accepted the trophy and Madonna kissed Brittney all while a weathered Johnny Cash and his wife sat in horror next to Cortney Love. It was a sad moment for the music industry and it only got worse when Johnny Cash passed away later that year.

My faith in MTV was eventually reaffirmed when I saw snookie get sucker punched in the face on the show "Jersey Shore." I like to think Johnny Cash is watching "Jersey Shore" right now in heaven, appreciating more and more his defeat at the VMAs.


1 comment:

  1. Katsis!
    I love this song/video. I remember Mr. Bulok used to make us listen to it in creative writing. It's really sad though and I almost started crying

    ReplyDelete